Monday, November 7, 2016

Let's Get Intimate, Woo Hoo

Google "intimacy".

But don't actually, because I'm going to tell you everything you need to know. *wiggles eyebrows*

When you look up intimacy, you'll get 28361280196318097 results that are all about intimacy... with people. Usually romantic partners. Go figure. *throws papers everywhere* We get it, we get it, relationships are great. #singleandbitter

But however you describe the term, whether it's as "close familiarity or friendship"" or "closeness of observation; familiarity with a subject" I think it's something we alllll neeeeeeed. Because we were made for it, we are GOOD at it. And we SHOULD do it/get it/feel it.

But where we find it varies.

Sometimes you find it with people, but I don't think you always have to. It feels great to know someone closely; bonding is nice. But. People also kinda suck a little bit! *shrugs* So like... can we not?!?!?

How about that second definition. You know, "closeness of observation"? Woah yeah woah what about that?! You know what THAT sounds like?

The Scientific Method?! Stalking? 

No and NO.

PAUSE!

I have a theory I'd like to share. Now don't get me wrong. I ain't no professional. I don't even have a bachelor's degree. *laughs nervously* But what I do have is this THEORY, this theory that we are naturally built to be creatures who show intimacy in a variety of areas. In our relationships, in our connection to nature, in our ART and WORK and PASSIONS!

Think about it... all the best things in life are somehow fostered into a good thing by intimacy.

People use intimacy with each other to grow loving relationships.

An artist uses intimacy with his craft to make it more beautiful. 

A scientist uses intimate observations to learn and discover.

All these things are structured around an idea of intentional, valuable intimacy experience of some kind. Whether it's sex in a relationship or hard work in research or even just repetitive practice at an art form, intimacy makes things better.

So.

I'd argue that where you pursue intimacy (with a person, place, or thing) is where your life is the best.

So, yeah, now that that's out there. Back to my question about what "closeness of observation" sounds like to me. (Cuz it's all about me right?!)

It sounds like... mindfulness. *birds chirping in the background*

Yeah... mindfulness.

That thing I do in therapy where I clear my brain of chaos and strife and become one with my surroundings?! YES SARAH, YES!

We expect artists and scientists and lovers to all practice intimacy in order to succeed at whatever they're up to. But when do we ever take the time to foster intimacy with something much more BASIC and also more CRUCIAL than any of those things? Do we EVER?!

Nah bitch! WE DON'T!

We are carried through life by a whirlwind of external forces, emotions, words, events, and messages. And we experience it all at a surface level. Is it possible we are always "just skating by" in work and school and maybe even relationships?

I think we have lost the art of intimacy. We have lost the art of throwing our consciousness into a practiced, intentional awareness of OUR OWN LIFE. Our own being. Our own breathing. Our own mental patterns. So, how can we expect that part of our life to show the beautiful fruits we see from art and science and love?

We can't. Not until we take the time to re-learn intimacy, and specifically, intimacy with our own being, and the environment around us. And to do this takes a LOT of work. I've been practicing for weeks and I'm just now starting to see the WONDROUS BENEFITS. *ooooohhh ahhhhh*

All this to say, guys.... gosh, what even am I trying to say.... HERE'S SOME BULLET POINTS

-intimacy makes us feel good
-we were made to do it
-it's not just sex ok
-mindfulness is good
-maybe get therapy?!
-again intimacy is a good practice
-so yeah mindfulness
-mindfulness

So try it. Do it. Get it. Feel it. Practice it.

Mindfulness guys, it's great.

Intimacy, man, I'm learning how to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment