Monday, November 14, 2016

The Concert I Barely Remember

Last week I had the honor and privilege of joining three sweet friends (one old but rekindled, one new-ish but supah tight, and one super-new and absolutely delightful) for the trip of a lifetime....TO, DRUM ROLL PLEASE:

Charlotte. *woo hoo* *blows party horn*

Now, we've had this little excursion planned for a while, so when I awoke the morning of the concert with a headache, sore throat, and very distressed sinus system, I did what any normal, smart person would do. 

I WENT ANYWAY!

We embarked early evening and arrived at dinner time. Charlotte is beautiful, and I'd forgotten what a sucker I am for tall buildings. (Gosh, I just love tall buildings! *squeal*)

Our dinner was lovely, simple, and for me, very painful to swallow. But you know, concerts man. I paid too much to miss this. I thought, "pop some pills and deal with it, Sarah." So I did. 

The show began with not one but two pat downs (great) and some contraband water that I had to pretend was vodka (the bartender stuck a lime on it and literally said "shhhh") since the bars aren't allowed to give out free water. Just another sign our country is headed downhill. *shakes head*

So, we established ourselves in the middle of the floor and set up camp for the night. And by set up camp I mean we looked at each other awkwardly for about an hour. 

Finally, the show began, and well, it was great. The parts I can remember. The darkness, the flashing lights, and the ukelele all mixed very well with my Sudafed, and I found myself zoning out in trances only to come back to reality to realize EVERYTHING HAD CHANGED. (songs, outfits, my pain level... you know.)

I slowly descended into "the beginning of the end" which for me is being freezing cold in a crowd of 200 tightly packed sweaty people. Then, the short term memory loss. Then, the bad mood. Eventually, total apathy to anything ever. 

I ended up bailing from our six-square inches early and went and sat in a corner. One of my friends came with me, god bless him. I may have taken a 30 second nap.... over and over again. And then I had to pee in the mens room because the ladies' was just too far away*, gosh dang it. (I asked a nice security guard to keep watch for me, and then I asked her if my nose looked really red. She said it looked "um, fine" then looked suspiciously at the black "X" on my hand.)

Eventually, we wandered outside for fresh air (my friend and I, not the security guard, though she was an absolute gem) and I enjoyed conversation and clarity of mind that only Sudafed can provide.

In the blink of an eye we were headed home, all bundled up in the car, the people in the backseat contorting their bodies in impossible ways so I could roll my seat back and feel utterly pathetic.

It was miserable really fun.

Throughout the ride, I zoned in and out of medicated reality, but through the strange state of mind that I later discovered was from a 102 degree fever, one thought was clear: I have a great life.

I have loving friends**, I have a lot of fun. I have music. Laughter. Tall buildings. A bad-ass leather jacket***.

Life is, well, pretty plummy.

*coughs up a lung*

Just thought I'd let you all know, I'm having a good time, and it's a great day to be Sarah Kane.

           ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

footnotes:

*about twelve feet away. Yeah. It was rough.
**I lovveee youuuu, friends.... I really love you... (*cries a little*)
***but seriously the leather jacket will get its own post soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment