Thursday, June 2, 2016

Eight Weeks In the Woods: What I'm Bringin'

Well, folks, I only have TWO AND A HALF DAYS left in my comfy home in Asheville before I head off into the Great Unknown! I can't wait to spend the next eight weeks as a counselor out in Cherokee, North Carolina. I posted the other day about my emotional packing list, but today I'm going to talk about some things I'm bringing that are a bit more tangible!

* * * * *  

I'm not going to lie. I may have wanted to write this post PURELY because I want to share with the world my AWESOME new luggage. lols.

First off, I found this uh-maze-ing Calvin Klein carry-on at Ross (CK-whore here, nice to meet ya!) as well as this Swiss Gear backpack on *CLEARANCE* online! I got both of them for less than a hundred dollars combined- and these will serve me in my adult life, well after camp ends! (I never thought I'd be this excited about luggage. Is it a grown-up thing, or...?) 


I'll also be taking my Kavu bag for any weekend outings. 


Now, this wouldn't be a blahg post about camp if I didn't show you (part) of my Chaco collection! I was so, so excited to find these close-toed Chacos this year! I AM IN LOVE with them, and can't wait to get them all gross and worn out at camp.


As for CLOTHES, I am trying to pack very minimally - last summer, I brought 15 shirts and probably only wore my favorite 5! I haven't finished deciding what I'm bringing this year, but here are my FAVORITE items. I got four pairs of *amazing* comfy shorts at Old Navy for less than ten bucks a piece! Also shown are my Marmot rain jacket, my REI long-sleeve, and my breakfast themed pajamas I found at Goodwill. (They're the best. They don't make pajamas like these anymore...)


I found these, uhh, really dated "retro" swimsuits at JC Penney. They'll serve their purpose this summer. I'm not too worried about the cuteness factor, as they probably won't last much longer than the eight weeks I have them for. Last summer, THREE of my swimsuits were stolen/disappeared mysteriously out of the staff closet. =/


And of course: 
BUFFS.


Now, my beauty routine is already pretty minimalist, but it's going to be even more paired down for the summer. Here's what I'm bringing, in addition to the obvious stuff.


I'm also going to take vitamins this summer. Last summer, I got really sick towards the end of camp and I'm CONVINCED it's from that awful camp diet of carbs, pudding, and carbs. Oh yeah, did I mention carbs?! It's just not enough to keep this body functioning, so for the first time in my life I'm going to take a multivitamin. #grownupthings #saynotoNOROvirus


Anddddd, of course, there are many more odds-and-ends things I'm taking, including string lights, my bible, some candles, stationary, blah blah blah - but some of the most important things I'll need are this notepad for "blogging", my personal journal, and the ONE AND ONLY BOOK I'M TAKING THIS SUMMER! 


Margot Leitman is my story-telling inspiration - she's a winner of the Moth Grandslam, has two books published, and fills the internet with snark and joy. I'm excited to read this "manual" on story-telling. Hopefully, I can take some of what I'm learning in it and apply it to this blog! I'm glad I'll have Margot with me this summer. She's a kindred spirit, and her wit helps me through hard days. I won't have her videos with me this summer, but I'll have this book! (I've been forcing myself to leave it closed until I NEED a little boost this summer!) 

And this is just some of my favorite stuff that I'm bringing to camp this year. I've yet to start *PACKING* any of it... in fact, that's what I should be doing instead of writing this blog post. But, hey. The closer I wait until my departure date, the more rushed efficient my packing will be. 

STAY TUNED!

No comments:

Post a Comment