Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Sarah Kane Caught a Frisbee

Camp is going great. Yesterday was my third day here at Watia, and it's only getting more and more fun as the days pass! All our staff are wonderful at getting along and that's amazing considering we only have sixteen counselors! Our superiors are great also-- very high energy and down to earth, easy to talk to, fun to tease, good to emulate. 

I'm loving it! 

Watia is beating my last camp experiences by miles. Perhaps it's because the staff is so small that it's impossible to fall through the cracks. I've been forced to participate in everything AND IT'S GOOD! I've made good pals out of everyone here, and I DON'T just like them because they have lovely British/Scottish/Irish accents! Although that's very nice.

Maybe it's because together, we are creating a culture here at Watia. And it feels good. It's impossible not to be energized by thinking about the outstanding legacy this summer will have, because it's the FIRST summer, and will set the standards and tone for the years following. That puts a lot of responsibility on us inaugural counselors, but it's also freeing in a way, since we aren't working in the shadows of, well, anyone! 

The sun hasn't even dawned yet for this camp. We will be there when it first lights up with life this summer and is revealed to the world. That is a privilege that excites me. 

Oh. And yeah, the frisbee. I caught one today during a stressful game of Ultimate. It felt good. We scored a point. I rejoiced. 

Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment