Friday, June 10, 2016

Two Truths and a Lie

1. I'm pretty alright at archery.
2. I drowned dramatically during my swim test.
3. I am eating a brownie right now.

Well, if it isn't obvious which is the lie, let me enlighten you on the contents of my day yesterday,

First off, we were at the door at 7:03 this morning- and then waited a solid *twenty minutes* for the bus, which was late because of the boys (again). We loaded all our belongings into the back of a pickup truck and then moved into camp!

*throws party*

It's going to be a giant sleepover in the girls' village tonight!

The rest of the day was, well... Mixed. First we did outdoor survival skills, which was great, because I told all the UK staff to be careful of the local "venemous butterflies" and their reactions were WONDERFUL.

Then we had archery, which, tbh, I felt great about! I hit the target every time- a vast improvement from the last time I used a real bow and arrow, which was 12 years ago. Our fearless leader Ryan even said "good job sarah" and I felt pretty grand about it all.

But then.

The swim test. *scream or terror*

Me and my fantastic friend Demi have been dreading the swim test all week. And it didn't fail us. It was AWFUL. However, contrary to the way I felt, I was alive the whole time. Once done with the swim test, we did a "missing swimmer" drill which involves sweeping the bottom of the lake for bodies. It was a bit dark (literally and figuratively).

And, finally, after a long day of mixed activities, we had a run through of a "closing ceremony". We all lit candles and stood around a blazing fire. We sang. I teared up a bit. It was grand.

After THAT, we all went and hammocked in the forest for a few hours until it got too scary to stay.

Today is our last day of orientation. Tomorrow, our first "day off" begins.

Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment