Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Crying In Offices: PLANS CHANGE

So, this week was an emotional one for old SK.

Monday began with very little sleep after a long (fun... but long) weekend. I was late to my advising meeting, and arrived out of breath and lugging all my school supplies on one shoulder. I threw myself down and unrolled my MASTER PLAN FOR GRADUATING ON TIME and my advisor did something I didn't expect her to...

SHE LAUGHED AND LAUGHED AND LAUGHED.

"You're not graduating in a year!" She chortled. "It'll be at least THREE!"

And I cried and cried and cried.

"I'LL BE DEAD BY THEN," I wailed in anguish. "I'LL HAVE GRAY HAIR AND GRANDKIDS BY THEN! WHY MUST IT TAKE SO LONG!!"

"Because these classes," my advisor said gracefully, "....ALL HAVE PRE-REQS."

...and I cried... and I cried... and I cried...

"MOM!" I bellowed into the phone as I stormed out of the building. "IT'S GOING TO TAKE ME 17 MORE YEARS TO GRADUATE!" *tears upon tears upon tears*

I then explained to her that because of the nature of the classes in my major, I'm going to only need 6 more classes, but they are set up in a linear manner and can only be taken one after the other, THUS meaning while it will take me three years to graduate, I will only have one or two classes I need at a time, THUS meaning I'll be a part-time student.

MEH.

After some more weeping and gnashing of the teeth my mom said the dreaded words that no one wants to hear when they feel unjustly persecuted by cruel fate:

"Maybe it's all for the best."

BUT MOM, I LIKE BEING MAD ABOUT THIS!

"Maybe you can work more hours at the Y, save up money, have an interesting minor or something. Maybe it's for the best."

BUT

Maybe...

Yeah. That. 

Maybe it is for the best. 

And so, as my seething anger dissipated under my mother's soothing rationale, I realized:

MAYBE IT IS FOR THE BEST!

And so, this post serves not only as a public announcement that I'm going to be "in the area" for a whiiiiile... it also serves as a beautiful reminder of what we all should do in these kinds of situations.

CALL OUR MOMS!

Thank you, and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment