Monday, August 22, 2016

Sarah Goes to College

So, today was the first day of classes.

My first class was a basic, general ed requirement that EVERY student at my school needs to graduate. It's a humanities lecture course, and also my FIRST lecture course ever!

I found my assigned seat (crazy, right?!) in the hall of 300 students. LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN:

THREE HUNDRED! Wow, must be so scary to get up and talk in front of all those people, right? *foreshadowing dooo doooooooooololololoooooooo*

Then we went on to talk about vases and tablets and Greece and museums and who owns art anyway etc etc etc.

The lecture continues, and eventually, the professor says, "Okay, I need some volunteer help!"

I'm like... GO UP THERE?! WITH HIM?! Never.

But then no one volunteers.

And still, no one. Things are getting awkward. The professor is now threatening to "PICK SOMEONE" so, naturally, like the camp counselor we all know I am, I am overcome by an awful compulsion. It felt like an invisible force was raising my hand against my will!

Normal self: Camp Counselor self, you STOP IT RIGHT NOW!
Counselor self: Sarah, no one is volunteering! You need to take some initiative.
Normal self: I don't waaaaant to! That's scary!
Counselor self: They're just people, and look at that professor. How would you feel if no one engaged with you at camp, hmmm?
Normal self: *struggling to keep hand lowered* That.. never... happened!
Counselor self: I'm sorry, but.... *forces hand into air*

Professor: Oh, lady in the back, come on down!
Me: *awkwardly climbs over 20 people to get out of my row*
Professor: I'd like you to analyze this 3rd century Mandarin text. *smiles nonchalantly* I'll translate it for you. Once upon a time, there was a queen who was near death and she told her vizier to kill her husband and bury him with her. The vizier said, "are people conscious after death?" and the queen said, "no." Well then, why must your husband be killed? Plus, if people are conscious after death, your ex-husband who died a long time ago is probably waiting for you with vengeance." And so the queen decided not to carry out her plan.
Me: *blinking*
Professor: So, I'd like your thoughts on the cultural context of this piece and its purpose in 3rd-century Chinese literature.
Me: *stares out at 300 people* O.... K....

And, well, I'll spare you what happened after that. Needless to say, it wasn't good.

The day only got more overwhelming from that point. My next class was Latin II. I took Latin I in ninth grade. So, it goes without saying I am a bit rusty, and I think the entire class caught on during our "oral pop quiz". *wipes sweat off forehead*

(I later dropped the Latin class.)

It was a tough day, this whole "school" thing. But, I think we can all agree that tomorrow will be better, as it's the day I have MATH class!

*horror movie music* STAY TUNEDDDDDDDDD

No comments:

Post a Comment