Friday, August 5, 2016

He's Got The Whole World In His Hands

Tonight on my drive home from a movie night with new friends, I had the old children's song stuck in my head.

He's got the boys and the girls, in His hands... He's got the whole world in His hands.

And it struck me how deftly God (or whoever/whatever you believe is at work in the universe) has brought aspects of a huge, expansive world right into a small wrinkle in his hands, where I've been sitting in a period of uncertainty.

For instance, when I came home from Agnes Scott College nearly a year ago (party coming up to celebrate my one year mark, woo hoo!) I thought, "well, that's the end of that. Time to go back to poky old home, which I've already outgrown."

And oh-baby-oh, how I was surprised to find out I had certainly NOT outgrown home. There were at least 5 people in Asheville I had not yet met that now, in retrospect, I NEEDED to meet! There were old friends I needed to reconnect with, foster relationships with, share a familiar yet ever-changing existence with.

Just because I was going "home" doesn't mean I was leaving that big old world I thought I was going to miss out on. In fact, this summer I worked closely with several European young adults-- some of whom I now consider my closest friends! Who could have known that coming back to Asheville, to the place I THOUGHT I had exhausted, would actually bring me to a bigger, broader horizon than the one I ran off chasing in the first place?

It's funny, but that's how a lot of things are. Funny. Strange.

And so, I don't know how much longer I'll be here, because I do see other places looming on the horizon. But I know in the meantime, I don't need to run away from here chasing something, because if I really need it, it will be brought here. Even if it's a friend from England or an ad for a camp or a job or a book or a class. Who knows what other treasures I'll find in my time here. There's a whole world here in these hands I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment