Monday, February 8, 2016

I CHASED MY CAR DOWN A HILL

So this was really, really scary at the time. But I have to write about it, because... in retrospect, it's EXACTLY the kind of story that I love to tell! (Bizarre, unfortunate, and with a LUCKY ENDING!)

Tonight, as I was leaving the house of the boys I watch, their dad said, "Be super careful going home! It's snowing a lot in Asheville!" and so on the drive home I was as cautious as could be... duh.

We live on a mountain and the road was already dusted white in front of my house. As many of you know, I'm borrowing my dad's car while mine is in the shop, and I treat that car like it's my firstborn child. I parked on the side of the curb where I always do, was *CERTAIN* to engage the parking brake, turned the car off, and exited the vehicle. I was already on my front porch, planning what snacks I would make once inside, when I heard an eerie scraping sound. I turned around and saw my DAD'S GORGEOUS PORSCHE sliding. down. the. hill.

I think I said, "nonononononononono" and started running after it, praying fervently as I watched that beautiful, expensive vehicle slide down a mountain. Alas, the street was icy and I had to do a unique form of pursuit that I now like to call a "shuffle run" after the car, which THANK GOD was moving relatively slowly. I stupidly fumbled with the keys to unlock the car while I was holding onto the door handle and literally being towed down the hill (I think I've conquered my fear of winter sports??). I jumped into the car and luckily, when I put my foot on the brake, the car ground to a stop.

I assessed the situation, certain that I had done something incredibly stupid, like left the car in drive. BUT NO. All was well. The car was in park, the brake was on... So I did what any 20 year old person does when they have a problem. I called my mom, who, poor thing, shuffled out of the house and helped me get the car into the driveway... (it was so icy I was just sliding around in reverse, saying "LOOK DO YOU SEE THIS. LOOK DO YOU SEE THIS!" with the window down).

Once on flat ground, the car didn't slide, which was a relief, because I would have probably had to steer it down an icy mountain road to a parking lot, or else... let it slide off a cliff. I would have wanted to die with that car in that case, because the Kane family has had enough vehicular disaster since I got my driver's license. Eeejhhh.

Anyway, if you've ever seen an unmanned car moving, it's really freaky, and I definitely got lucky in this case. Thank goodness for snow boots and stupidly thinking I'm capable of stopping a moving 2 ton piece of metal... because I was! =) So, my friends, a word from the wise (ha!)... don't park on hills in bad weather. And don't trust your parking brake. And always have your mom on speed dial. Stay safe out there, Asheville!

No comments:

Post a Comment