Friday, March 18, 2016

Libraries and Ice Cream Etc.

Today I wore one of my cute new t-shirts and felt very fetching. So naturally, I had to go out somewhere.

But then, there's the problem of a decided lack of company.

But then again, I know this problem well and just went by myself. It was possibly better this way, as I could play the music as loudly as I wanted to, and didn't have to live with the humiliation that would have followed had anyone witnessed a certain malfunction of a "one-way" in the parking garage (I was the malfunction). I guess you could say it all worked out.

I parked behind the Pack Library, which I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW EXISTED and wandered for a while among the stacks. Then I realized, after assembling a nice pile of books, that I couldn't check them out because we just moved to a new county, and my Henderson County Library card is now tragically obsolete.

So, no books in tow, I headed for Marble Slab and bought myself a "I'm sad" ice cream. It was great. You could really taste the self-pity, and the hint of cynicism really complimented the flavors of disillusionment. Marble Slab never lets me down!

After my ice cream, I fell asleep on the steps of the Pack Park stage, and was awoken by a very nice policeman who "was just making sure I wasn't dead or in a coma". So polite! And then, I fell in love with a charming crowd of buskers. The lead singer was quite flirtatious and I was wearing a new shirt and felt cute, so, I was flirtatious* too.

Buskers always fascinate me. It's always struck me as amazing that people on the street will pay cash out of their pockets to someone playing a guitar on the curb. We skimp and complain about the silliest fees for a place to park our car, etc, but we throw cash at strangers that we aren't obligated to! It's great, though. If I could sing, you BETCHA I'd do it. And if pianos were more portable, you betcha I'd be out there doing that. Some Elton John on the street corner would be very well received, I think.

So, I stared into the eyes of this dreamy busker for a while, and then carried on with my day, which included nothing exciting. (A trip to the post office, a few phone calls, eating a lot of cheese. The usual.)

And, folks, that's just a day in the life of Sarah Kane for you. It's been good for me to come face to face with the realities of my life apart from all the things that used to give it meaning. Friends, school, etc. Kidding. My life doesn't have to include or disclude those things in order to be defined as "my life". My life simply is what it is. And today, it was walking alone downtown.

It was a good day. And it's going to keep getting better, as I still have a half block of aged white cheddar in the fridge and that block can only get smaller as the day goes on.



*The meaning of the word "flirtatious" in terms of ME is not that exciting. It just means I forwent the usual scowl of disdain I would give a cute guy. What can I say. I really fell for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment