Thursday, March 24, 2016

Ways College Has Changed Me (So Far)

     Some thoughts on the impact my first two years of college have had on me.

     College Challenged My Worldview!
   
     Some of my beliefs and opinions have been strengthened by being challenged, and some of them were, well, dismantled. I feel lucky for having had a variety of different college classes (and FRIENDS) that presented vastly differing stances on the same issues. It was really good for me to get a chance to see multiple sides of the same issue. Even though all THREE of the colleges I've taken classes in have fallen in different places on cultural/political/moral spectrums, I've gleaned value from them all and taken parts of each as pieces of my own worldview.

     College Made Me Appreciate The Peeps That Matter!

     So far, I've attended colleges in three states (two of them living hours away from home!) and as for the two that took me away from home, making friends was really hard each time. I HATED one city/school and ADORED the other, but both presented their challenges in finding my place there among the people and the structure. College really, really, REALLY has made me evaluate people in a new way. I've been hurt by people in college in new ways, and it's shown me the true importance of my family (and that darling inner circle of friends... you know if you're in my inner circle!) and the people that respect, trust, and love me unconditionally. Also I just really missed my mom. Who doesn't?!

     College Gave Me Freedom to Exercise My Own Judgement!

     My very first night in a dorm room presented me with a conflicting moral situation. And, well, I made the right decision. (I did NOT smoke the weed! I did NOT shoplift! I did NOT let that girl use my phone to call her angry ex-boyfriend! My first night in college was really stressful.) But seriously, college is sooooo full of good opportunities to make choices. As was high school, and probably any other period in life, but for ME, moving away to college was like stepping into a giant room filled with "DO NOT TOUCH" buttons, some of which I touched. But hey. I learned.

     College Taught Me Not to Talk About Politics!

     BAH! In middle and high school I was little political freak just waiting for someone I could wave my political freak flag at! In college I quickly learned that talking about politics is the QUICKEST way to either a) make a really intense best friend by bonding through your mutual rage or b) turn everyone in your political science classes into mortal enemies. I now do neither. Well, that's a lie. There are approximately two people I talk politics with, including my dad. (Here's your shout-out, Nick. Congratulations about knowing my top-secret political opinions. Ooooh ahhh!) But seriously I don't talk about politics with people because I don't want to get shot. People believe what they believe and I see no point in creating enemies when those enemies are 19 year old girls who truly and honestly believe they have the key to fixing the nation. (Or 50 year old professors, for that matter...)

     College Showed Me New Sides of Myself!

     To be perfectly honest, college has been pretty crappy so far. It's not entirely college's fault, thought. YEAH, no, a lot of it was my fault. If I could go back and change things, I WOULD. But. There's no doubt that college has stretched, matured, and changed me in drastic ways. I've learned so much about who I am now: thanks to pain, suffering, horrible relationships, and living within walking distance of Taco Bell! (UGH.) I've ended my first two years of college with a new-found sense of clarity and honesty about my life and my identity. Curious to know the new sides of myself that I found? I made a list for you. You're welcome.
     1. I'm waaaa-haaay too dependent on affirmation from people around me. (But I'm working on it!)
     2. I'm smart. (My 4.0 is one of my proudest achievements. Shallow, I know.)
     3. I'M SMART, YET I KNOW NOTHING
     4. I'm not ready to date anyone*
     5. EVERYTHING. I mean everything** is temporary.

I HOPE YOU ENJOYED MY RATHER GENERIC DISCOVERIES ABOUT LIFE MENTIONED IN THIS BLOG POST. FEEL FREE TO COMMENT BELOW WITH YOUR OWN GENERIC COLLEGE EXPERIENCES. I'D LOVE TO READ THEM SO I CAN FEEL AFFIRMED BY ATTENTION FROM YOU***

Footnotes:

*Unless that person is the busker mentioned in my previous post "Libraries and Ice Cream Etc."
**Except death. AVOID DEATH!
***Ugh I'm so needy

No comments:

Post a Comment