Wednesday, April 27, 2016

MEET CUTE FOR THE AGES: Tushina and Asian-ish Guy

Tonight, on my drive home from my wonderful ladies' group that I go to on Tuesday nights, I was hit with a strange desire to take a detour to a nostalgic haunt on my way home. I went to said nostalgic haunt, parked the car, and cried for a little while with Jars of Clay crooning in the background. What's new. (I cry a lot these days.)

Then I continued on my merry way until, well, a beautiful honey colored dog ran into the road. I almost hit her. AHH DOG QUICK HELP AHH LOST DOG AHH PANIC. I pulled over into a Walgreens parking lot and opened my door. Before I could even whistle, the dog was scrambling into my lap and licking my face. She was a big, scared girl. I somehow finagled her into the back seat of my car and drove to Walmart to buy a collar and leash.

It was obvious she had owners - she was well-fed, her toenails were clipped, her fur was healthy. But with no collar or tags I didn't know where to begin finding her people. So, naturally, I called my mom at 10PM to ask her for help! (Like I always, always do.) She told me where to take the sweet pup to get scanned for a chip, and soon I had "Honey" in the lobby of Reach Animal Hospital in Asheville.

She was chipped! The lady who scanned her soon returned with a piece of paper. "There are six numbers of organizations that MIGHT know who to call to find out WHERE she got chipped at, then those places MIGHT have numbers that MIGHT belong to her owner!" So, lobby lady and I buckled down and started calling the numbers while "Honey" licked my legs and anxiously looked up every time someone came through a door.

Finally, FINALLY, I was on the phone with the owner! Turns out, our sweet pup's name is "Tushina". Hmm. Lobby lady and I questioned that name choice, but when we crooned it to our little rescue, the sweet girl wagged her tail with recognition and soon Tushina and I were back in the car driving to meet her owner.

I pulled into the empty parking lot where the guy on the phone and I had agreed to meet, and lo and behold what did I find parked there but a wee little Subaru, same model as mine, out of which jumped a cute, Asian-ish guy. "Nice car!" he said as I opened my door and let a shaking, excited Tushina out. Owner and dog were reunited with many kisses, while lonely single girl looked on discontentedly. *tear slides down cheek*

"Did you BUY this?" Asian-ish guy said in shock, holding up the Walmart leash. "Oh my! I will reimburse you!" *gleaming smile*

"No, no," lonely single girl said. "You can pay me back on our date later *hair toss* It's totally ok."

"Well, oh my gosh, I really can't thank you enough." Asian-ish guy said.

Lonely single girl just smiled. "You can thank me by taking me on a really fun date! You're welcome."

"Well..." Asian-ish guy awkwarly shuffled his feet.

"So, here's my number, call me sometime and we can take Tushina on a romantic picnic on top of a mountain where we will fall in love. Glad you got your dog back!"

Asian-ish guy reached out awkwardly for a passionate embrace handshake. "Thanks so much."

Lonely Girl shook his wimpy, wimpy hand and then got back in her car.

So, it all came to nothing. Sarah Kane just had the Meet Cute of the CENTURY and it was all for naught. Asian-ish guy returns home to whatever life he has there, and Sarah Kane returns to... well, how do we even sum up her current state of affairs. It is SAD to think of the silly reasons this Meet Cute amounted to nothing....

....Perhaps Asian-ish guy has a surplus of awkward but charming blond girls in his life? Hmm? Perhaps he only dates Asians. Maybe, by chance, he felt threatened by my beauty and class and didn't want to risk rejection. His insecurities must be holding him back. I guess the world will never know.

But, at the end of the day, Tushina is reunited with her man, and Sarah Kane has another Meet Cute to add to her ever growing collection. What more can I ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment