Wednesday, April 20, 2016

MY FIRSTBORN AIRPLANE PART!

So, most things haven't changed since my last post - I'm still having a great time, still making friends, and still, well - single.

BUT, one thing HAS changed - I took my first part off the plane today.

What? Sarah freakin' Kane, you'e out there at the base doing a tear-down and you haven't yet taken a part off the plane?

Yeah. I hadn't. But then Joe (congrats on your first royalty, Joe) called me over to the side of the plane to help me take my very first part off. *tear slides down cheek* I held the screwdriver on the bolt on the outside of the plane, and then I... well I didn't do anything else. I just stood there holding it while Joe did something magical on the inside of the plane. Now don't think standing there holding a screwdriver is easy. Okay. It's sort of easy. But it still required muscle and oh boy, good thing I was wearing short sleeves today because those lil' biceps were out to play. *wiggles eyebrows*

So, after an agonizing minute of exerting what little arm strength I have, I heard a pop from the side of the plane and out from under that giant grey belly a beautiful little piece of metal fell into Joe's hands. Yes. He caught my first-born airplane part and handed it to me. I held that little slippery piece of... whatever it was... valves and such... and I think I finally understand how women feel when the doctor hands them their child. Ahh, it was def a precious moment.

So, I carried my labor of love back to the trailer where we do inventory, and I lovingly wrapped him in bubble wrap and put him in a box. It's hard knowing I have to give him up. Not gonna lie. I felt a pang of guilt leaving little buddy there when we left the base, all alone in the dark trailer with the other parts, who maybe weren't brought into the world in such a gentle manner and could be a bit rough around the edges.  I hope he doesn't get bullied by a malicious cooling pack! *sob* But, that's the nature of this field I suppose. You can't get too attached.

Here's a picture of little buddy. I would have gotten a picture of me holding him lovingly but sometimes it's better to just enjoy the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment