Friday, May 6, 2016

Arranged Marriage: Pros and Cons

Today my mother confided in me that my dad said to her, one night, in all seriousness: "So... we really do have to get her an arranged marriage, don't we?"

Well, I'm not too appalled by the idea. I've had too many "dates gone awry" lately to feel sufficiently confident in my own man-landing abilities. The real concern is, can my parents AFFORD to pay off someone to take me?!

I made a pros and cons list like I often do, to help myself sort through - well - the pros and cons.

PROS AND CONS OF AN ARRANGED MARRIAGE

Pros: 
Guaranteed results*
Nice story for posterity
Easy
Parents have good taste so he'll be hot/smart/nice
Lower divorce rates
No more awkward dates

Cons:
Expensive for my parents
Self-esteem issues due to inability to find man on own

*results = man

Well, I'm glad that's settled. After weighing the pros and cons, I've decided an arranged marriage is the way to go. Money, pshh. That can be made. And self-esteem? It's not like THAT can get any lower than it already is, so we only have "up" to go from here! So the "cons" really aren't deal breakers in this case.


Thanks, daddy, for that heartfelt comment that sparked such a serious look into a legitimate option. Meanwhile, I'm going to carry on with college, work, and my social life AS IF I am going to have an arranged marriage... because really, everything is arranged anyway. It's all a matter of who's doing the arranging - your parents, yourself, your cult... you know what I mean. *dances away slowly*

No comments:

Post a Comment