Monday, January 11, 2016

The Easiest My Life Will Ever Be?!?!

My mom is always telling me, "This is the easiest your life will ever be!"

You know, college. Taking classes, socializing, working cutesy part time jobs, planning my entire future, ya know, IT'S EASY.

Well. It certainly doesn't feel that way right now. Faced with so many big choices, and just millions upon millions of tiny every-day failures, it feels really hard! Even the things that SHOULD be easy (like, cashier jobs?!) seem to wear me down day after day. School, which used to be such a source of awe and joy for me, has become a drudgery and a race at this point. Taking this year off, entirely NOT by choice, has been so stressful, and feels like another "struggle" to add to my loooonnggg list of "problems to solve".

It feels like life is hard. But then my parents remind me I don't have bills, children, health issues, major responsibilities, or wrinkles.

And it's true, I guess. This time is beautiful and short. A time where, if I want to spend my entire evening playing piano, I can. Where if I want to plan a feasible trip to visit a friend out of state, I can. I mean, geez, I could even take that bizarre philosophy class if I wanted! Really, this time in my life is centered around myself. I'm not worried about a husband, children, or even the upkeep of a household.

So what IS it that makes this time so hard? Angst? Worry for the future? Comparison? The slow realization that a life of hard work and little return is ahead? I don't think so. I think for me, there's no excuse to be complaining right now. I'm definitely reminded today that REALLY, everything is GREAT, and I need to take every ounce of negative energy I have in my body and do something fun and productive with it, while I have the time and space to do so!

If anyone has any thoughts on why so many college students are miserable, even though really things are pretty peachy for us, all things considered, I'd love to hear them below.

No comments:

Post a Comment